Zion came home last week with a note from school saying that one of her classmates had lice. That freaked me out. Lice is one thing I have always dreaded getting. Bedbugs is another. I checked her head and didn't see anything so I wasn't worried. I started studying up on it anyway.
A couple of days later, I checked again. I saw some white things but thought it was just dandruff. I thought I would ask for a couple of opinions before brushing it off. I asked a neighbor who is a nurse and a friend who has been a 2nd grade teacher for years. It turns out that both of them have had experience with head lice but couldn't tell either. I decided to take precausions but try to stay calm about it.
On Monday I took her to the nurse to have her checked. The nurse checked us all and said that Zion and I had nits. I came home and panicked a bit but just started disinfecting everything in sight and deciding which method to use to get rid of the nasty things. The nurse suggested shaving the boys hair off and using the Nix on Zion and me for 8-10 hours. The Nix box said no more than 10 minutes. I had heard that it causes cancer so I didn't want to use it. After reading up on several natural remedies that sounded effective but very time consuming, my dear visiting teacher told me her experience and how Denorex with coal tar worked. I decided to try it. It wasn't until the 2nd round of Denorex that I read on the bottle it too causes cancer. Go figure!!
I nit picked Zion's hair for a few days in a row, kept sanitizing bedding and clothes and furniture, and had Casey check me out. The entire process I only found maybe 3 nits in Zion's hair an no lice in either of our hair. She was even cleared for school the very next day. So at this point it is like I am trying to clean a phantom thing and hoping it doesn't come back.
After all that stress, I got my second gray hair!
No comments:
Post a Comment